Tuesday, February 1, 2011

UNpleasures of eating

Wendell Berry provides readers of his essay, The Pleasures of Eating, with some great insights.

"A significant part of the pleasure of eating is in one's accurate consciousness of the lives and the world from which food comes," offers Berry (235).

However, I believe this statement to be much too generalized. For instance, I personally do not find eating certain foods pleasurable in any way if I know where it comes from. Foods like meat; if I knew which cow I was eating while I bit into a cheeseburger, I would probably throw up. I consider myself a pretty compassionate person and have considered becoming vegetarian on multiple occasions for the sole reason that I feel bad for the animals that I consume. I've never been able to do it though - I just like chicken and beef too much. If I know exactly which animal my meat comes from, it becomes too personal. I would never eat my friend and that is exactly what I would feel like I was doing.

In contrast, my dad has grown a vegetable garden for many years and the taste of a home-grown tomato is unlike anything I have ever tasted. I agree with Berry that knowing where my food is coming from makes eating it more pleasurable, IF and only if we are talking about vegetables or fruits.


No comments:

Post a Comment